In case you have not noticed, herbal teas are very popular all around the world today. There are literally hundreds of options to choose from, with ginseng root being one of the most popular. Ginseng root can be used to make team, which is believed to have a host of health benefits. The advantages of drinking ginseng tea are not completely known to everyone, although Koreans have been consuming this for centuries. Today, as herbal teas take centerstage in the world of wellness and nutrition, this powerful herb is finally getting the attention it deserves.
Traditionally, ginseng tea does not contain tea leaves. Instead, it is prepared from ginseng roots, along with Korean chestnuts and jujube fruits. These ingredients are decocted for several hours over low heat before the tea is made. Today, ginseng tea is available in powder form and as supplements for quick preparation and consumption. The tea has a strong smell and taste, which many people have described as medicinal. From kids to the elderly, everyone drinks and enjoys ginseng tea in Korea. Here are some of the most significant health benefits of this drink.
- Weight Loss. Known as a natural appetite suppressant, ginseng tea can help with weight loss. Take note, though, that merely drinking this tea is not enough to help you reach your weight target; like most things, it should be accompanied by a healthy diet and regular exercise.
- Control hypertension. Ginseng tea has long been used as a natural home remedy to control high blood pressure and hypertension. Clinical trials on patients with high blood pressure showed that consuming ginseng tea can significantly reduce blood pressure.
- Promote heart health. A rich source of antioxidants, ginseng tea is good for the heart. Also, this herb has shown to slow the heart rate and reduce its oxygen demand. Ginseng root can increase the strength of contraction of the heart muscles, protecting it from myopathy.
- Promote skin health. Herbs and spices that are rich in antioxidants like ginseng can promote skin health, thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties of their active compounds and chemicals. Ginseng possesses anti-aging properties for the skin because of the presence of free radical-fighting antioxidants.
- Restore hormonal imbalance. Ginseng tea can help promote hormonal balance among women and guard against endometriosis, breast cancer and other diseases caused by hormonal imbalances. Ginseng contains ginsenosides which is similar to female steroidal hormones, so I has mildly estrogen-like effects.
- Revitalize the body and brain. Drinkers of ginseng tea have touted their improved cognitive abilities and better attention span. This is because ginseng is an adaptogen, which improves the ability of the body to tolerate stress situations. In turn, it improves energy and beats stress and anxiety.
- Strengthen immunity. Ginseng tea has long been used in traditional medicine to fight cold and flu, and strengthen the immune system of the body. It stimulates the body’s antibody response and phagocytic action to harmful viruses and bacteria.